Tuesday 23 March 2010

Thoughts from Carebearing: Income and Ransoming.

I've been taking a few days off piracy to get high sec wealth generation back on track. I think I've done every level 4 mission the agents of the Federation Navy have to offer me at least 50 times now, so to preserve my sanity some new way to fund my piracy has to be found.

Mining for a few days hasn't really impressed me: isk income is fairly low by comparison to missions and fellow pirates have a habit of interupting... so that was quickly discarded as a main source of income.

I don't think I have the patience to make trading work, and with so many people out there who do, I think that's out of the question for me.

So I settled on production, one of my 'associates' is churning out battleship after battleship, which I'm afraid to say are, destined to be blow up for their insurance value (Hooray for exploiting being an outlaw, police do all the blowing up for me). I hear rumblings from the forums and SiSi that changes to insurance are likely to be made, so the idea is to step production up as fast as possible whilst I can make money quickly via fraud. This should allow me to have a larger base when I have to build for sale.

My exploits with the Hulk and the time I got given a megathron to leave a POS alone (whilst in an ishkur solo, so not a bad result I feel) have lead to some debate in my corp about ransoming, with terms like "common roadside robber" being thrown around. Personally, I don't see ransoms as a matter of honour but as a matter of business: less than the value of the fitted ship; more than I'd get through looting the wreck. It makes sense for me to honour a ransom therefore, as a disgruntled target is never going to pay again and will likely advise others not to. Dishonouring ransoms is bad for business, both for me and for others.


So, to close: if anyone else* wants to go AFK in a belt in low sec on a tuesday night, you'd better respond to ranson requests!



* Killboard link coming when Battleclinic's back up.


No comments:

Post a Comment